It is the wish of all of us to maintain natural teeth for our entire lifetime. However, certain conditions cause teeth loss as we grow old. The most common conditions that have been observed to cause teeth loss include injury, tooth decay and periodontal disease. Dental implants have replaced the traditional methods of teeth replacement, such as dentures and bridges.
A dental implant is a screw-like surgical fixture that is fused to the jawbone with the missing tooth. An abutment, a connecter, is placed on the dental implant to support the custom made crown. In some cases, the implant can be customized to be used as the tooth. Dental implants are mainly made of titanium. This material ensures that the implant adheres tightly to the jawbone via a process known as osseointegration.
Advantages of Dental Implants
The various advantages offered by dental implants have caused their fast adoption in the field of modern dentistry. To understand why you should go for implants near you as a teeth replacement method, let’s look at some of these advantages:
• They are comfortable to wear- The screw-like implant binds strongly with the jawbone making the replaced tooth as stable as the lost tooth. This stability extends to help in normal biting chewing and grinding.
• Safe to use- Dental implants are placed right on the area of the missing tooth. This ensures that the surrounding healthy teeth are not impacted. The area underneath the missing tooth may suffer from bone deterioration if you choose to repair your teeth loss with dental bridges and dentures. Since dental implants function as tooth roots, they prevent bone loss.
• Convenient- While other teeth replacement structures such as dental bridges require unique maintenance practices such as cleaning, dental implants are maintained as regular teeth. The ease of cleaning dental implants saves on time and resources that could be used elsewhere.
• Long lasting- If you are looking for a dental repair method that will last for a lifetime, then using dental implants is the best choice. If you look after your dental implants the same way you do for normal teeth, they should serve you forever.
• Dental implants are well tolerated- When an experienced dental professional does the process of integrating the dental implant to the jawbone called Osseointegration, dental implants have shown a success rate of over 97%.
• Preserve appearance- This is one of the most compelling reasons why you should choose dental implants for dental repair. The bone loss associated with other dental repair methods such as dentures often cause sunken cheeks and lips. Dental implants make a sturdy material that preserves the typical shape of your face.
• More affordable- Although dental implants may seem expensive due to the cost of the surgical procedure, they beat other dental repair methods since they don’t require several replacements that attract extra costs.
Final Thought About Teeth Replacement
With the above merits, it is clear that you should use dental implants for your teeth replacement. Since the installation of these structures is an invasive procedure, it must be done by qualified dental surgeon. Finally, your dentist will make sure that the crowns attached to the implants are customized to match the shape and color of your other teeth.