This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)
If you have a broken tooth or one that requires a deep or large filling, then our dentists at Rockville Dental Arts may recommend dental crowns. This procedure is designed specifically to ensure the tooth’s integrity is maintained so that removal is not required. There are quite a few reasons why your dentist may recommend dental crowns:
- If you have a tooth that has been weakened due to decay or breaks or cracks, then a crown can protect it.
- If you have a tooth that is severely worn down or broken badly, then a crown will restore it.
- A tooth that has very little surface remaining or underwent a large feeling can be supported with a crown.
- If a dental bridge is needed, then dental crowns can be used to support it.
- A tooth that has become misshapen or discolored to a severe degree can be covered with a dental crown.
- A tooth that has been treated with a root canal can be protected by a porcelain crown.
- Finally, a dental implant will be finished with a crown.
FREE CROWN CONSULTS – CALL 301-424-2030
Because the dental crown is so versatile and is used in so many different situations, it is a regular procedure to provide protection, to strengthen teeth, and to ensure bite is maintained for better dental health.
- Metals including gold, nickel, palladium, and chromium.
- Porcelain that has been fused to metal to maintain natural tooth color with the strength of the metal itself.
- All-resin, which is affordable, but tends to wear down quicker than other options.
- All-ceramic, which will provide the most natural look and is an ideal option for anyone with metal allergies.
Again, this is something you will need to discuss with your dentist to determine what will be your best option based on needs as well as preference.
How It Will Happen
After you have seen our dentist for a consultation in our Rockville office, then you will need two visits for your dental crown. The first visit will be to prepare the tooth. An exam will be done and x-rays taken to ensure there is no risk of infection. Any treatments such as fillings or root canals will be done.
The tooth will need to be filed down both on the top and sides to ensure there is room for the crown.
Here at Rockville Dental Arts, we send our crowns to a lab to ensure they are shaped and prepared properly. So, your second visit will take place when the crown is prepared. Your tooth will be covered with a temporary crown in advance, but on the day of the permanent procedure, a local anesthetic will be used for your complete comfort. Then, cement will be used to put your permanent crown in place.
Your dental crown will last between five and 15 years depending on the material used, how well you take care of your teeth and how much you avoid grinding your teeth, chewing ice, or using your teeth for other purposes that may damage them.
Contact Rockville Dental Arts
If you’re in the Rockville area and you believe that you need to consider a dental crown, then contact us at Rockville Dental Arts today at 301-424-2030 or fill out our contact form. We are waiting to discuss your restorative dentistry options. Experience the many benefits of dental crowns.
Read the Rockville Dental Arts Blog here.
Please select service, date and provider then click on the Find Appointments button.