Tips to Determine if You are a Candidate for Sedation Dentistry
Many patients experience dental anxiety. It can be difficult to undergo a procedure where dentists are operating so close to the face, and it is natural to feel uncomfortable with any dental or medical changes. If you have spoken with a sedation dentistry specialist, or if you experience a variety of sensitive symptoms before treatment, then you may be a candidate for sedation dentistry. Our Rockville dentists can help give you the information you need.
The Best Reasons for Sedation Dentistry
At most practices, almost all procedures involve an option or requirement of anesthesia. Procedures such as dental implants, fillings, and crowns require patients to be numbed in order to withstand the depth of the procedure. But sedation is not always offered each and every time. Patients may ask about the use of sedation dentistry if an issue of extreme discomfort arises. According to our sedation dentists, there are several types of people who can become good candidates for sedation dentistry:
- Those who have an extreme fear of dental treatment.
- Those who do not benefit from anesthesia, do not feel numb enough, or have difficulty becoming numb at all.
- Those with a large gag reflex.
- Those who have too many scheduling conflicts and must undergo a procedure all in one sitting instead of across several appointments.
Sedation Dentistry Concerns
Although the above reasons might pin you as a candidate for sedation dentistry, there are still a few concerns that our specialists want to address. Sedation dentists are hesitant to offer sedation to patients if they have:
- Breathing or any respiratory problems.
- Allergies to any medications or specific medications involved in the sedative product.
- Active prescriptions which may affect interaction with the sedation medicine.
These factors can be of major concern to sedation dentistry specialists, and must be considered before fully accepting the use of sedation. Most procedures can be performed without it, however, and sedation dentistry is only available for those who need it most.
Talk to Our Sedation Dentistry Specialist Today
Interested in acquiring sedation for your next dental procedure? Come to our office at Rockville Dental Arts or call us at 301-424-2030 at your next available convenience. Our dentists can schedule a consultation and give you more information regarding sedation dentistry. If you feel that you are a good candidate for sedation dentistry, stop by and talk to one of our dentists.